Saturday, August 11, 2007

Thirst for Jesus


What do you long for? Is there someone in your life who takes hold of your attention and affections so much that you desperately desire him or her? There should be. If there's anything or anyone you should rightly feel like you cannot live without, it's God. We must desire God like nothing else. If anybody or anything captivates your thoughts and captures your longings more than God, you are idolizing that person or thing. Repent from your idolatry, friend. Repentance is a gift, so ask God to give you the ability to turn your back on your idols and your face toward him. Desire God above all, friend. This passionate longing for God is a gift, so beseech God to stir up a genuine longing for him. All these good gifts flow from one Fountain. And I assure you, if you come to quench your thirst on the living waters of this Fountain, Jesus Christ, you will not be disappointed. Christ alone satisfies forever. Long for him. He says, If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." (John 7:37-38)

Look to and long for Jesus, and you will find yourself resonating with the desire of David:

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. (Psalm 63:1-2)

David knew he could not live another second without God, nor did he ever want to. David found life-giving satisfaction in pursuing God. He says to God in another Psalm, You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11) Here, in the 63rd Psalm, we find how David found this satisfaction. He says to God, I have looked upon you.

David looked upon God and was satisfied. Oh, how beautiful and warm and lovely must God be to satisfy those who look upon him! David loved to take in this divine view of God so much that all he wanted to do was look upon him! In another Psalm he says, One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple. (Psalm 27:4) David was absolutely mesmerized by the the splendor of God, because when he looked upon him he was satisfied. So the question I hope you're asking is, How can I be so satisfied by looking upon God?

You and I can look upon God by looking at Jesus! Jesus is the Son of God! He says, If you knew me, you would know my Father also. (John 8:19) He also says, Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. (John 14:9) Look to the crucified, risen-from-the-dead, reigning-over-all, Lord Jesus Christ, friend. Look to Jesus. Long for Jesus. He says, Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty forever. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. (John 4:14)

No comments: